Our mortuary was founded in 1909 by O. H. Moyer in a time when funeral directors were called "undertakers" and many visitations and wakes were held in family homes.
Back then, our establishment was called the Moyer Mortuary and even after Mr. Moyer's death in 1948, his wife Etta continued operations, hiring a young funeral director - James E. Holmgreen - who had gone to mortuary school in Dallas after returning from World War II. Jim Holmgreen had grown up in Alice and graduated from high school here.
Jim Holmgreen bought Moyer Mortuary in 1953 and in 1965, built a new state-of-the-art funeral home - Holmgreen Mortuary.
After Jim's death in 2002 his wife Marjean Holmgreen and their four children; James Craig, Annajean, Martha, and Judy formed a family corporation.